Modifying Your Current Court Order

Going to court and getting a court order signed by a judge is the goal of establishing rights as your child’s parent; whether you’re a mother or a father, the latter being slightly more difficult if you need to determine if you are the child’s father. Like all things however, sometimes you need to patch a hole. You might find yourself unsatisfied with what your court order outlines in your parenting plan due to changing circumstances in your lives. This could be for many reasons.  Setting aside your own feelings towards the other parent could be difficult even after you guys have gone to court.  If you don’t get along, you might have feelings about your children living with your ex’s new partner.  Living conditions and occupations change, and you need to be able to be flexible. Here are some common reasons why someone might change their existing court order:

  • Your kids don’t get along with your ex’s new partner.
  • Your ex has changed jobs and spends more time away from home.This could raise some questions such as, who is with the children when they’re not at home. How long are they with that person? Is that person a good role model? Etc.
  • Your work less hours than you did before and want more time with your kids.
  • Trouble at school. Sometimes the transition hits your kids harder than you think and their grades begin to fall. It’s not important who thinks they are the better parent, it’s about what or who fosters a better educational environment. Do they have a place to do homework? Are you or the other parent there to help them? Weigh out the pros and cons.

In some parts of the country the court will let the child use their own judgment. Regardless of the reason for this modification to take place, the fact remains that the kids are what is important here. Much should be done to keep their world as intact as possible. If the circumstances of you returning to the court room are less than pleasant, this is doubly important. If your kids are in a bad situation, it’s your job to show the court the evidence. The judge wants to be able to come to a decision that benefits the child, even if this means some sacrifice on you end; help them help you and your kids.

Tagged with: , , , , , ,
Posted in Child Custody, Child Visitation, Modifications
3 comments on “Modifying Your Current Court Order
  1. […] Modifying Your Current Court Order ( […]

  2. William Ward says:

    Hello,I need help bad, I have my kids more than half the time and when there not with me they are pushed on their grandma or uncle. First I have had legal difficulties. She is not being a good mother and the DA. Keeps wanting me to pay money or go to jail. I provide well for my children, she has a new man that my kids do not like and he has children of his on that he never talks to or sees. He drinks and drives with my kids and she has medical issues that are a concern. My son is 11&daughter is 9. They both want to live with me. I’m tired of them being shuffled between several houses. PLEASE contact me and HELP ME. THANK YOU David Ward.

    • Hello David,

      Several things are happening here: you mentioned your ex’s boyfriend drinks and drives while with your children, the child support agency is wanting you to pay support and threatening to put you in jail if you do not comply, and your ex has an unspecified medical condition.

      If you are behind in support this is probably why the state is attempting to incarcerate you if you do not pay – you will want to pay something whenever your next hearing is on this issue.
      Its important that you have verifiable proof that your ex’s boyfriend is drinking while driving, police records and that sort of nature.
      If their mother is unable to care for her children due to a medical condition, you will also want proof of this.
      All of this can help with your case if you want to get into court and request for a parenting time schedule or even physical and legal custody of your children.
      As a parent advocate group we can certainly help you with which ever direction you are wanting to pursue. Ultimately it is up the judge to decide what is in the best interest of your children and who is a more fit parent.
      Please contact us if you want to discuss this matter further.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Popular Topics

Click to follow your blog and receive helpful parenting & court prep posts by email.

Join 11,174 other subscribers
%d bloggers like this: